Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Wednesday, June 27

Finally, clarity

Ok, I guess I messed up and never published this. My bad. I wrote it June 29, the week after I was lambasted for "incorrectly" reporting SSHA Director Ed Spychalski's salary for months. I kept saying it was $152. Here's the June 21 post I wrote about the criticism I received.

Anyway, I was just going to edit a post (typo not content) and I noticed that I never published this post. So here it is. Sorry for the delay and if everyone has lost interest.


I'm sure most people are getting fatigued at the constant SSHA news. I know I am, and that is a bad sign.

However, I finally wanted to set the record straight on Executive Director Ed Spychalski's salary, which I was even a little soft on a definition for as of last week (*that is, last week when I originally wrote this in June).

His salary for 2011, according to the latest figure which I must say makes the most sense, was $144,921. That was base. Then, to get to that $151,956 number, you need to calculate in the one-time 5 percent merit-based bonus, cited in SSHA Chairman Eric Weller's correction to his Compliance and Communication response to the City Council.

At last week's SSHA meeting, I heard Accountant Cindy Gaugler reference "that 5 percent" when I was being attacked for misstating his salary as $152k.

Doing some of the math on my phone, just to make sure I was right, I made sure that would equal roughly the difference between his base and his ultimate compensation and viola!

However, that was dismissed when I asked about it as inaccurate and explained through the terms of mileage, healthcare costs and partial bonuses that I referenced in the blog post at that time.

Now we see what it is, once and for all. Without the bonus, thus, he is being paid $144,921 in the fiscal year starting July 1... unless he gets more bonuses.

And anyway, I still feel comfortable saying he made $152k in 2011, so I will, rather than explain the various ways I've heard it explained that he made $7k more than his salary.

Stay Classy, and sorry again for the delay, Saratoga.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about timing here. Was this post written after Eric Weller admitted he had missated Ed's salary and came up with the $151,000 number (about) as well? It would be nice if Mrs. S apologized for essentially calling you a liar.

July 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wouldn't it be nice...

July 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home