Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Monday, April 7

Accusations of greed: Great Escape Lawsuites get wierder

Over the weekend the law firm of Dreyer Boyajian LLP advertised in several capital-region newspapers that anyone who got sick at the Great Escape in Queensbury last month should contact them about their pending class-actions suit. (That they didn't advertise with us gives me the advantage, because I don't have to worry about pissing off some ad-sales guy with this post).

No sooner had I turned on my computer this morning than I got a fax from John Aretakis, the first lawyer to file suit in regards to this outbreak, better known for representing victims of child abuse. Arektais regularly faxes me hand written notes, penned in large, capital letters, so I can tell from across the room when I'm about to be hit with one.

Today's was a good one. Aretakis took exception with the tactics of Dreyer Boyajian, who he accused, in a letter sent to them today, of being "callous and exploitive." He writes that he is taking the high road, by representing about 25 people or families effected by the Norovirus, all of whom are friends or family.

"I actually consider what I did a favor to some families who only had a child or two vomiting for several days. My goal is to make a park where I have been a season pass holder for at least three years a safer place for children." Dreyer Boyajian, he said, are just in it to make a buck.

Aretakis has said that he took this case pro-bono, so he may have a point there, but at the same time, I have to wonder, why shouldn't Dreyer Boyajian make a buck, as long as they are serving the interests of their clients?

According to Aretakis, it's because they're giving lawyers a bad name, whereas he is working to advance the public good. He ends his letter thusly: "If you would agree to donate all of your legal fees to a charity involving abused children, I will ask the two dozen people who have hired me to change over to your firm."

Thus far, I have not seen a response from Dreyer Boyajian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home