Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Sunday, April 6

Spring is here?

I include the question mark because the long winter has beaten me into the belief that it could snow again at any moment, but for the time being, after a storm threatened snow on Friday, it seems that spring has finally arrived.

How do I know? Well, the birds have been singing songs not heard since fall, and flocks of geese have been flying north for some time. Also, I can nearly see the grass in my shady backyard, as the last of the snow melts away.

How else do I know? On a stroll through town last night, it seemed that several restaurants, including but not limited to, Saratoga Coffee Traders, Brindisi's, The Circus Cafe, and the Stadium Cafe, were serving outside. There were throngs of people walking seven- and eight-abreast on Broadway, and the smokers on Caroline Street weren't huddling together like penguins conserving heat, but were spread out, enjoying the -- uh, fresh? -- evening's air. Also, I spotted a line of motorcycles lined up outside Uncommon Grounds, and several fancy sports cars, painted in bright primary colors, cruising town.

So, please forgive my pessimism, but it does seem that spring is finally here. It won't be long before DPW flower crews get to work making the city bloom, and I know we're all looking forward to that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I have to wear my mouse out getting to your blog?

Michael

April 7, 2008 at 4:15 PM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Just trying to give your mouse a little exercise!

That's a good question for our web editor, Stephen Shoemaker. (sshoemaker@saratogian.com). We are in the process of exploring ways to make the blogs closer to the homepage.

April 7, 2008 at 4:32 PM 
Blogger Steve Shoe said...

What the...? From the Saratogian homepage (or any other page on the site) you click "Blogs" along the top, then scroll over the name of Andrew's blog, which is a direct link here. You don't need to click on "Full story" below the description.

That's two clicks, though I won't comment on how long it might actually take those Saratogian pages to load.

April 7, 2008 at 7:37 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home