Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Thursday, May 15

National bike to work day

That's right, Friday is national ride your bike to work day. I won't be participating, since Friday is my day off, but I'm giving myself a pass, because I ride my bike to work everyday that I do work anyway.

There are many reasons to ride your bike to work, not the least of which is that it's a whole lot cheaper than driving. For instance, I have a special bike that I only use for riding to and from work. I bought it about a year ago, and it cost me about $300. Throw in a few more bucks for a good lock, and some other accessories, and we'll say that I spent about $400 in all. How quickly do you go through $400 worth of gas?

Obviously, the figure depends on what kind of vehicle you drive, but I'm willing to bet that even someone driving an ultra-efficient hybrid to and from work will go through more than $400 wroth of gas in a year. And my bike will last a lot longer than one year.

I know it can sometimes be hard to ride a bike in the winter, but now that summer is here, excuses are waning. It's time to get out and ride. Even some of my co-workers here are considering riding bikes. I think it's time you did to.

I found this nifty tool today, which can help you calculate the cost/benefit of riding a bike, versus driving a car on your daily commute. It's a table on the bottom of the website. Check it out if you get the chance, you might be surprised at how much you'd save over the course of a year, even if you only rode to work once or twice a week.

Alright, I'll get down off of my bully pulpit now. Have a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home