Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Friday, June 6

Healthy Transportation, or lack there of

I had occasion to visit the Maple Avenue Middle School this morning. Since the school is less than a mile from my apartment off of North Broadway, and since I generally ride my bike everywhere, I rode my bike to the school.

The map of Saratoga Springs shows that North Broadway, when it ends just beyond the entrance to Skidmore, turns into a dirt road, which then continues straight through to the school. So that seemed easy enough, certainly easier than riding around to Route 9, so I off I went.

Unfortunately, the dirt road was more like a path, which was a slightly challenging ride on my street-worthy commuter bike, but regardless, I made it without any drama and rolled up to the school.

Maybe it was naive of me, but I assumed schools and bike racks of me where synonymous. Lo and behold, there was nary a bike rack to be found at the school. I would up riding around to the back of the school, where I locked my ride up to a standpipe, and proceeded on to my work.

But I'll ask you this: in this suburban town, are we really so afraid for our children that we won't allow them the age-old right of riding a bike to school? Sure seems like it to me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taxpayers provide nearly 100% bus service to all the Saratoga School District schools. Students who choose to ride their bikes or drive their cars are not removed from the schoolbus budget. For not utilizing services already paid for by the taxpayers, student drivers and riders should have to pay back that money.

June 9, 2008 at 1:15 PM 
Anonymous Charlie said...

Whoa, is anonymous saying what I think they are saying? That if students provide their own transportation, they should be penalized financially? If there's any one belief this country was built on it's Freedom to choose. You are in America now - please speak the language/values correctly.

May 16, 2009 at 1:17 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home