Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Tuesday, June 3

More on public safety

Although there were probably more people at tonight's council meeting to hear the proposal for the indoor recreation facility, I spend the bulk of my work day (now going on 11 hours, though that pales in comparison to the day the council will put in by the time they go home tonight), working on stories about the public safety building.

I spoke to Commissioners Skip Scirocco, Kenneth Ivins, and John Franck this afternoon to feel out their positions on both proposed facilities, and because of tight space in tomorrow's paper, none of the material I collected from those interviews will make it to print, so I'll offer you their comments here. (I also reserve the right to recycle these quotes for print publication at a later date.) I couldn't get in touch with Mayor Johnson to get a feel for his position, and I think Commissioner Kim's position should be more than clear to anyone who reads this blog.

John P. Franck, commissioner of Accounts

Public Safety building:

“I’d like to be open minded, and see what they present tonight, but my inclination is that we still need to renovate the existing building, and it’s going to be costly.

I have a problem with the $8 million. I think that’s too much, I voted against the budget for that reason. I’ve never been in favor of the new building. You still have to renovate the old part, and I’d like to know what the cost is.”

Rec. Center:

“My biggest concern about the rec. center is mass and scale, but I haven’t heard anything about that. It would seem to me that basketball courts are the main thing that is needed. I’d like to see the plans first. It comes down to the cost.”

Skip Scirocco, commissioner of Public Works

Public Safety building and rec. center:

"At this particular time, it’ll take some time to think about what’s been presented and some concerns. I’m not familiar with either set of plans.

Still a clear need for a public safety facility. It comes down to what we need to pay, versus what we’re getting, and what the tax payers are willing to come up with from their pockets.

I know there’s the 8 million that we’re being taxed on, so there is something to work with. I haven’t heard any number. I’m waiting patiently to see what proposed.

I know they bonded for the rec. center, but I need to take a look to see what we’re getting for the money. I know there are concerns about the location, so maybe we need to do a little more outreach. Maybe there needs to be more information. Maybe what happens tonight will clear up some of the concerns."

Kenneth Ivins Jr., commissioner of Finance:

Public safety building and rec. Center:

"I’m looking forward to see what both are coming through with. I’m told the changes made to the rec center made have been in response to public concerns, and I'm eager to see where that stands.

As far as Public Safety, I’m hoping to hear a complete set of numbers on building, furniture, energy, maintenance.

If we’re looking at $8.5 or $9 million, that’s one thing, but if it’s 15 or 20, that’s a lot. A little over is no big deal, but a big increase could raise property taxes.

My entire focus has been the cost involved, and how we’re going to pay for. Hopefully we'll find some outside money, other than property tax. I’ll be interested to some of our state representatives, to see what else is involved. Someone mentioned making it 'green,' and if there is money to make that happen, it would be a win-win."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home