Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Tuesday, May 20

Ride of Silence


Just went you though Bike Week was over... I realized that it's still Bike Month here in the state of New York.

Tomorrow is what I think might be the month's most important event: The ride of Silence. This is a 12-mile ride that will pass by three ghost bikes: bicycles painted white and installed as memorials to cyclists killed in collisions with cars.

To quote one of my favorite cycling bloggers, BikeSnobNYC: "Every day each one of us is a wayward SUV and a can of white Krylon away from becoming a ghost bike, and that's the way we like it."

Well, I don't know if I really like my daily commute to be a death-defying experience, but I recognize that at times, it can be. And sometimes, there's no escaping death. Tomorrow's ride will remember any of the 600-odd cyclists killed each year when crossing paths with a vehicle. This is a very necessary homage. Although the ride will only visit three ghost bikes, there have been nine cyclists killed by cars in recent years.

If this ride were local, and not in Albany, I would go and participate, but alas, it's too far away. For anyone who has more time free to travel about the capital district, the ride begins at 6 p.m. at the Corning Preserve. You can contact Claire Nolan at cbnolou@yahoo.com for more information.

Anyone with a bike and helmet is welcome, and rider are encouraged to wear a black armband to honor the deceased.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not many comments lately.

You must be starting to feel like the proverbial blithering village idiot;
Staring at nothing in particular and talking intently with yourself.

May 20, 2008 at 10:18 PM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Does that make you the sheriff, come to cart me off to the tank, where I won't disturb the peace?

No, I don't feel like a blithering idiot. Site monitoring reveals that this blog gets nearly 100 page-views per day. Not astronomical, but to shabby for a still-new blog.

Even if people aren't talking back to me, they're interested in what I have to say. I'm clearly not talking to myself.

May 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shot-

You're better than this cheap shot. I mean that as a compliment, honest.

My older brother is an avid biker. Competing PROFESSIONALLY since 1972. AS WE SPEAK, he's in Cincinnati recovering from his THIRD horror when a car took him out. Concussion, ripped flesh, broken bones.

Andrew is NOT Horatio or Ben, granted. He is new and he updates far too regularly for the usual idiots to crawl into their Keehn-McTygue cesspool brawl.

But lemme' set this straight--
Andrew is young, smart, talented and entering a profession I love. I like him, I respect his enthusiasm, and we've met and socialized at after-hours joints. And MAN, I like the HECK out of his Femme Fatale.

That TOUCHING story being told, I will STOMP HIM like a COCKROACH when he botches a story.

But this "Silence Bike Story" is a gem. He is no "blithering village idiot." He hit the SCOOP that NOBODY else has caught...not that I've seen. It would be great if his Editor saw it good enough for the print edition.

But Shot, I LIKE you and RESPECT you.
Mostly.
Andrew hit it out of the park here.

If you pause to think and STILL decide to flame him... I'll pay for your round-trip to Cincinnati to see my brother.

He saddles up and lives for no sound reason.
Other than his LOVE to ride.

-Respect Talent...or not,
Kyle

May 21, 2008 at 12:20 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home