Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Monday, February 2

Chowdergate

I can't even believe that this is happening, but I've now been hearing allegations of malfeasance regarding this weekend's "Chowderfest."

Apparently, there has been some confusion about the two categories related to dog chowder -- that's chowder made for dogs, not chowder made with dogs.

Here is an email I received that typifies the confusion:

I am really annoyed by this whole dog chowder contest.
I saw with my own eyes, the mayor's dog eat Impressions chowder first at the Chow Down. I see today that Sloppy Kisses has miraculously won the dog chowder contest. How does this happen?
I called Impressions and they said that someone told them that they were counting the ballots for the dog chowder and not the actual Chow Down. This is wrong. This is what is says on the Discover Saratoga website:
http://www.discoversaratoga.org/chowderfest/

"Coming back for the second year in a row will be the "Dog Chow Down"! Starting at 1:00 pm at the Saratoga Downtowner Motel, a contest between the stores participating in making dog chowder will compete to win the "Best Canine Chowder" award. Already, there are three stores participating in this event! The doggy contestant for the 2nd year will be Mayor Scott Johnson's dog, Dr. Watson!"

I read that to mean that the winner is chosen at the Chow Down by Dr. Watson. Dr. Watson chose Impressions chowder first.
What are people supposed to think who stood there and saw that dog choose Impressions' chowder and then see someone else win the contest?? It makes me think that people are cheating and manipulating to win publicity over their competition.
I know the woman at Dawgdom and she said that the organizers told her to tell people NOT to use paper ballots for the dog chowder because it would be decided by the Mayor's dog. She sold 97 bowls of chowder.
This is lousy and someone needs to change it.

-A citizen in search of the truth

By way of explanation, here is my reply:

The category for 'best canine chowder' was voted for by dog owners who bought chowder for their pets. The Chow Down event, judged by the city's dog-in-chief, Dr. Watson, is a separate event. discoversaratoga.org apparently did not fully understand the contests. Both Impressions and Sloppy Kisses were named as winners at today's press conference. My story in tomorrow's paper will clarify the difference.

I hope this allays some of your concerns, but I think you should keep in mind that the whole event is contrived to bring people into downtown on what might otherwise be a slow day for retailers. The actual contest is meant only for fun, I don't think the sort of malfeasance you're suggesting comes into play. I hope that this allays your concerns, AB

Now, perhaps it is somewhat suspect that the same business won the dog "chow down," for two years running, but my guess would be that it has more to do with the dog's preference (Dr. Watson was judge in the contest both years), than any kind of wrong-doing.

I hope that everyone keeps in mind that Chowderfest was fun, and meant to be nothing but.

4 Comments:

Blogger Horatio Alger said...

Frankly, I think the whole dog chowder thing is pretty ridiculous to begin with. Now instead of happily pounding back cheap beers and chowder, I must maintain a modicum of sobriety so that I can discern the difference between normal chowder and that which is meant for canines. It doesn't help matters any that some restaurants clearly don't understand how to make a proper chowder, much less a proper soup. On that note, let's just say buffalo wings belong in the fryer, not the soup cauldron.

February 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now have to see this Horatio Alger blowhard on this blog? Mr. Know-it-all now wants to tell us what we are supposed to eat? The chowder here is better than over there. Buffalo Wings belong in a fryer. Now he's a world class chef too!

February 3, 2009 at 8:07 PM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

I believe that "Horatio" was riffing on the somewhat absurd situation surrounding the dog chowder.

I welcome comments and thoughts from all members of this community, and "Horatio's" comments are almost always more coherent and thoughtful than numerous other posters.

In short, he/she typifies the way that I wish all commentators would use this blog: It should be a forum for a thoughtful discussion of issues, not a place to level personal attacks.

If you disagree with him/her (or with anyone else for that matter), please say so, and please explain why. If you just don't like a person... well, that's your prerogative, but I don't care, and I don't see any reason for why you should post such feelings here.

February 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew,
Thanks for this hilarious post, it really made me laugh. I was unlucky enough to read the hateful comments on Alger's blog re: Chowderfest. Who knew people cared so much about Chowderfest to actually get angry with it!? It is all quite funny really... The Convention and Tourism Bureau and the Chamber have created this family-fun event in an effort to boost retail/restaurant sales (as you stated) and the event does just that! Anyone who has issues with Chowderfest is probably mad at their Dads, and not at the 'fest! I say boo to Chowder haters... any REAL Saratogian understands that an event which brings people (and their dogs) into our fine city is an event that is beneficial to all us residents! Long live Chowderfest!

February 4, 2009 at 12:49 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home