Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Wednesday, January 30

Learning tons

Members of the blogging community here in Saratoga Springs have been anything but shy about reminding me that I'm a new journalist. Today mayor Johnson reminded me. In a story I wrote yesterday, I incorrectly said that if the city did not answer a motion for leave of appeal a case brought against it by the Saratoga Lake Association and others, it would constitute a ruling in favor of the city. Why did I say something so grossly inaccurate?

Well, after nearly two weeks of calling Mayor Johnson, Joe Scala, Tony Izzo, Doug Ward and Bill Hurst, and receiving no calls back, it was finally time that I had to write something, especially when the city announced that it would hold a special session this morning to move on water. In all that time, the only person with a working knowledge of the case that I'd been able to speak with was Wilma Koss, president of the Saratoga Lake Association, one of the complainants in the case.

What I wrote in Tuesday's paper was my understanding of the proceeding, based on what Koss told me. Not that I'm blaming her. She, like me, is not a lawyer, and may not have fully understood the procedure, or may not have been equipped to fully explain it to me. Or I might have misunderstood or misinterpreted. After all, it's my job to get things right in print, not hers.

I did finally, at the 11th hour, get hold of Bill Hurst, counsel for the SLA, who answered all the questions I asked him. But in the haste of trying to get the story out, I didn't think to verify what I already took to be fact, that failure to answer the motion would constitute a ruling against the city.

In fact, the court will decide whether or not to hear the case regardless of whether the city files this motion, which they have now decided to do.

Well, with help from Mayor Johnson and Commissioner Kim, I've been able to correct the record today, but I really do strive to get my stories right the first time around, and learning of a mistake, particularly a significant one like this, in the middle of a city council meeting sucks. A lot.

But I find myself feeling very frustrated. How can I, a new journalist with little knowledge of how the courts work, get something like that right if the people to whom I'm supposed to asking questions won't return my calls?

So this is a plea to our elected officials and the paid professionals who work with them. Please call me back, if only so that I can better serve readers in Saratoga County.

In other news, Mayor Johnson will give the annual state of the city address this Sunday at noon, in the City Center. I'm told that there will be refreshments. Mark your calendars.

In other other news, I met two citizens this morning who told me that they only way they knew about this morning's meeting was through reading this blog. I must be doing something right.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But what you need to remember is that Kloss is a hack who wants to stop the City from using the lake at all costs. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or what is best. It's all about her. That's the problem in the City... What is the person's real loss/gain? As for the hacks not getting back to you... That's not your fault, they aren't used to having somebody from the Saratogian actually covering them

January 30, 2008 at 6:37 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir Night Shift-

Shake it off. You done extremely good...most EXCELLENTLY good-- I couldn't find even a MENTION of this important meeting in the other papers. For the Saratogian to be out in front... it will mean MUCH to the readership once we get over the shock. And all kidding aside, the new City Council will come to appreciate your professionalism.

You WILL note that I did not savage you and snarl as I ripped your fetid flesh because you did NOT quote ME in your story. I LIVE for that SPOTLIGHT and NOTHING more.

Well done, write on.

January 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go after these guys, establish credibility by going after them. If call aren't returned publish remarks from those individual that relate to the story; if it's out of context and embarrassing to them all the better. Let them see that you'll get the story out one way or another. If they complain don't apologize , don't play the neophyte, go after them. They need you more than you need them.

January 30, 2008 at 11:40 PM 
Blogger Horatio Alger said...

Andrew,

While I won't absolve you of wrong doing, I'll make a few points here that might dull the sting a bit. First of all, it's the mayor's duty to make him(or her)self available to the press as well as constituents. This was a halmark and shortcoming of the Lenz administration. After all, what the hell else does a part-time retired mayor do? I'd ask the mayor for exactly how to contact him in such a case, and if he says 'just call my office' or some other BS like that, then you've done part of your diligence.

The other part is boots on the ground; walking over to City Hall, demanding to speak with someone. Explain deadlines, explain your confusion and the desire for accuracy and explain how it's very unbecoming of a fledgling mayor to dodge the press for no good reason.

Paying frequent visits to City Hall also lets folks over there know you mean business. Ask to see legal documents, plans, et cetera. One of this area's best reporters was Robin Cooper, a fellow who worked for both the Saratogian and Daily Gazette. He was once a fixture in City Hall.

Also, ask where your stinking editors were on that point. They should have a working knowledge of this type of thing. I'm know expert or aficionado when it comes to this BS suit(and it is BS), but I picked that error out right away. Any editor that has worked in this city for more than a year should have caught that blunder. Barb and DeMars should hang their heads.

Another bit of advice: Don't get caught up in the minutia of court wrangling. It's a difficult place to hang when there's not a lot of movement. These are times when you're most prone to make errors. Keep in mind, most attorneys attend a significant amount of schooling to get through the morass of our civil justice system. Meanwhile, most reporters have little more than a low-level business law class under their belts.

And lastly, if you don't understand something, don't have both sides and it's not something of immense importance, don't print it. Think of it this way: It's better to get scooped and be right than scoop and be wrong, especially when it comes to the Neverending Law Suit(cue the music and Falkor the luck dragon).

January 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home