Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Tuesday, February 19

Bicycles in the city (and County)

One of the great things about working here at The Saratogian is the occasional opportunity to write for our magazine, "The Spirit of Saratoga." Writing for the magazine gives us beat reporters a chance to work outside of our usual "beat box." My first Spirit story is slated for the magazine's April issue, and is about cycling in Saratoga County.

It may surprise you to learn (or maybe not), that in my time away from work here at The Saratogian, I'm a modestly successful amateur bike racer, and a member of Brooklyn Velo Force, a team based in Brooklyn. So it was fitting that I was tapped to write about cycling for the magazine's spring issue.

Of all the people who ride bikes in this city, the vast majority that I know, are like me, racers. But my story is going to focus much more heavily on recreational rides. Saratoga Battlefield National Park is one favorite that's sure to be included in the story, as are the Zim Smith Trail and Saratoga County Heritage Trail. But if you have a favorite ride, no matter your level of experience or dedication, I'd love to hear about it. I'm especially interested in hearing from families that ride together.

Many of us ride bikes, some for transportation, some for exercise and some for recreation. I believe it's a wonderful activity that everyone car share. Please share your riding story with me by calling 583-8729 x219, or email me at abernstein@saratogian.com.

Keep the rubber side down!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contact SMBA, who has an amazing little getaway for mountain bikers over in the Skidmore forest. Melt snow melt!

February 19, 2008 at 10:21 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home