Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Thursday, April 17

Dry Cleaners... it's your responsibility

I wasn't exactly surprised to find out that there was a trade organization for dry cleaners. (See my story in Friday's paper if you don't know what I'm talking about.) But I was surprised at the level of pride representatives had for the lengths they take to protect the environment.

At least one dry cleaner here in the city is taking measures to use safer petroleum based chemicals in its machines, thereby reducing potential harm to employees, neighbors and patrons. That's good. What was interesting, however (and this is the one question not answered in my story), is that other dry cleaners in the city were less than forthcoming about the chemicals they use.

This may legitimately have been because the people who could have answered my questions were gone for the day, or it could be because they don't want to reveal the magic they use to get those tough stains out. Whatever. Any readers out there use dry cleaners should consider asking, the next time you bring your garments in for a cleaning, what type of solvent is used.

PERC is a known carcinogen, and if you're putting it next to your skin, you should, in my opinion, at least know that it's there.

I'm with holding my usual adios for the weekend message, as I'll be back tomorrow with a special bonus Friday post. There will, however, be no post on Sunday, as I'll be celebrating Passover.

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Feigenbaum said...

At Feigenbaum Cleaners we also use DF2000.--
Todd Feigenbaum
Feigenbaum Cleaners

April 21, 2008 at 8:13 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home