Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Sunday, June 22

Sayonara Aretakis

Attorney/crusader John Aretakis came into my life back in February, when he announced that he would represent the two brother victimized by former City School bus driver Douglas Conrad and his room mate James E. Wiley. Over the course of the following four or five months, I've accumulated a thick file full of Aretakis's hand-scrawled faxes. Sometimes his tips were helpful, sometimes not, but they were always inflammatory.

Last month, I reported that Aretakis's two clients had recanted on testimony given in an unrelated case in Albany. I reported that after it was reported to me by Saratoga County District Attorney James A. Murphy III, who released to me a letter from one of his assistants which documented the recant. Aretakis immediately flew into a furry, and started telling me, every other day or so, that Murphy was a liar, and there was no, and had never been, a recant. According to him, a recant exists only when there is written documentation.

According to Murphy, and as reported at the time, there was never any written documentation, the boys backed off of verbal statements given to the state police, which in the language of District Attorneys (and I have confirmed this), constitutes a recant.

Fast-forward to last week: Aretakis produces what he calls damning evidence that Murphy is a liar: a letter that says there was no written statement, and no written recant. Well, no shit John, there never was anything written, and no one ever said there was.

So, after I told Aretakis that I wouldn't be writing the kind of anti-Murphy screed he was pushing me to write, he flew into a rage in which he called me a patsy incapable of doing my job of supervising government. "I've been a source, and you should tell your editors that your source is going to dry up," he said to me. With that, I hung up the phone. Good, I thought, maybe we'll save a little money on copy paper and fax toner at the office.

Aretakis had been, at times, a good source, but I think he is too willing to blur the border between reality and imagination in his singular mission: ridding the world of anything and anyone he doesn't like. For instance, he insisted for months that he had no conflict and could represent both the boys and their mother (who faces endangerment charges for failing to notify police about the abuse), even though the boys would have to testify against their mother, and hence, Aretakis would have to discredit one of his clients to defend another. For that reason (although he sites other reasons, including threats by the Saratoga Springs police department, which I personally believe are invented), he is no longer representing the woman.

Good luck to you John, thanks for no longer darkening my door step.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad the young victims in the case have to be further victimized by their own lawyer. If he were really watching out for their interests he would have taken them to a trained counselor or to the Child Advocacy Center.

June 22, 2008 at 10:35 PM 
Blogger Horatio Alger said...

Alas, this cub reporter is growing up before my eyes. Aretakis is an alluring find for young journalists because he is so goddamn forward. At first glance, he appears as though he's a walking headline, ready to start raining news at any moment. But in truth, this guy is a two-bit hack that's worn out his welcome in the Capital Region. Most veteran newsies I know make sure those damn faxes don't circulate much farther than the recycle bin.

Trust me when I say this: You're much better off without this guy. If he wants to kick rocks, let 'em. Ignore his dumb ass; it'll probably be one of the best career moves you'll make. In fact, if you can maybe hang a permanent sign in the newsroom stating as much, you'd be doing your community a gigantic favor.

And to think, he's running for Congress...

June 23, 2008 at 12:37 AM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

I received the missive below from Aretakis himself. I know it's legit because it was faxed to me as a hand-written fax.

I responded with my own hand-written fax, asking him to resubmit his comments in an electronic form. He complied, and I will now duly post them.

I suppose he is within his rights to be peeved that I called him out on this blog, but I don't know why he continues to insist that our newspaper brown noses government officials, but so it goes.

Feel free to send any feedback directly to Aretakis, his email address is at the bottom of this post. Here it is. Enjoy:

When you wrote me your "sayonara" letter on your blog site, it sounded to me like a spurned lover rather than a responsible journalist. Writing "when John first came into my life . . ." does not appear to be a sign of maturity. I never came into your life Andrew; I am a lawyer who represents and advocates for victims of sexual abuse and our paths crossed because you were covering the Conrad and Wiley cases. Because I represented an entire family, you phoned me a dozen or so times to find out an answer to questions you had regarding this matter. I always answered all of your questions to the best of my ability.

Be advised that I represent over 250 such victims, and I take my work very seriously. However, because district attorneys are elected, and they come from the dirty womb of politics, I have had to legitimately criticize these persons in authority. That, incidentally is my job and part of any functioning democracy -- the ability to loudly criticize elected leaders without fear of retribution.

My experiences with you have been decent, but elements at the Saratogian such as Barbara Lombardo do not care for me. That comes with the territory because the Catholic Church does have a cult-like hold over some of the faithful. If you ever walked around with me, you would find that many people do admire my work and appreciate me helping the marginalized against those entrenched in political or other types of power.

As far as my attacking people that I do not like, you are off base there. Chief Edward Moore, I was told in March 2008 was a decent guy. When I called him to complain about a Saratoga cop attempting to leak to you a false story about the mother charged with endangerment, he not only investigated, but he called me back quickly and repeatedly. (This mother has no prior criminal record.)

When I was openly critical of District Attorney James Murphy and Chief Moore, they cried like babies. I guess up in your parts, these guys are not used to be publicly questioned. Public servants are famous for caring about their image, and everything else be damned.

DA Murphy does not care for me because I handled a case where I believe his father put him (DA Murphy) in an elderly lady's will and he made over $300,000.00. It is also my opinion that his father instrumental in getting former DA Waite to fire Robert McNamara so he (DA Murphy) could become the heir apparent in 2000. Do you care that Jasper Nolan had to go to Terry Morris who went to Pataki and got McNamara a Court of Claims position? This animosity is because I am privy to information that in my opinion, the Murphys' have indulged in criminal behavior.

Your newspapers' repeatedly kissing the butts of these political animals are what I find particularly offensive. A democracy demands critical and unbiased coverage of all levels of government. It should be apparent to people that because law enforcement is a repeat and necessary customer of your paper, that you forego journalistic responsibilities in order to obtain timely and accurate information. Perhaps one day you will understand what the Rolling Stones said when singing "every cop is a criminal . . .

I trust your interactions with me can and will become part of your growth as a journalist. If not, good luck in sales.

John Aretakis
aretakis@nycap.rr.com

July 1, 2008 at 5:55 PM 
Blogger BlueDog said...

Sounds like Aretakis is on the mark.

July 2, 2008 at 1:38 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought it was about the victims for Aretakis, but after reading his rant, it's all about him...and isn't Barbara Lombardo a devout member of the Jewish faith and not beholden to the Catholic Church as Aretakis claims?

July 2, 2008 at 1:44 PM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Blue Dog: On the mark about the Saratogian's Editorial Police, Jim Murphy, or my apparent skill as a salesman?

anon 1:44: Yes indeed, Barbara Lombardo is Jewish, although she married a man with a non-Jewish sounding last name (I don't know his faith, nor do I see how it's relevant). I suppose that's enough to tarnish her in the eyes of Aretakis.

July 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM 
Blogger BlueDog said...

Yes, Yes and No.

July 2, 2008 at 11:35 PM 
Blogger jerseyguy said...

Aretakis is one of the insiders. He knows politics inside and out. He crafts his message by consulting the party bosses. They even allow him to claim he has a NYC office, when in fact it's just a vacant building. They actually allow him to live in Interlaken. He is hooked politically so he can speak without retirbution. The Chief, the DA and the Editor are all responsible to their electorate, the readers and constituents. Aretakis can do what he wants because, as he says, he is born from the dirty womb of politics.

July 2, 2008 at 11:52 PM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Bluedog: What's your deal? OK, you don't like the Saratogian or Murphy, but you dislike me so much you don't even think I'd make a good salesman? Jeez...

Barbados: I didn't publish your comment because I'm worried about a libel suit, but I am very interested in hearing more of your story. If you ever want to talk about it, please call me at 518.583.8729 x219.

July 3, 2008 at 10:30 AM 
Blogger BlueDog said...

Andy,

I only meant that I do not agree with the comment that you would make a better salesman then a journalist. Also I didn't say that I don't like Murphy but it seems to me that Aretakis' comments about him are true.

July 4, 2008 at 8:44 AM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Blue Dog: Thanks for your clarification. Please accept my apology, I'm a little more used to be attacked than handed a compliment, especially where anonymous posters are concerned.

July 7, 2008 at 9:22 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home