Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Wednesday, November 19

Movie theater coming downtown?

For movie fans looking for a downtown alternative to the Saratoga Film Forum, the answer may soon arrive in the form of a multiplex proposed for Lake Avenue, as a part of two of the three proposals submitted to the city today to develop the High Rock parking lot.

A movie theater downtown has been bandied about before. Most notably during a Team Saratoga survey conducted by former Commissioner of Finance Matthew McCabe. The survey found that while what people wanted most to make the city more urban-feeling was a high-end grocery store. What they wanted second as an in-town movie theater. (The survey came to light again when discussion of the possible closure of the Rail Road Place Price Chopper was at it's peak.)

I, however, have been wondering whether of not a medium-sized movie theater would be able to make a stand in Saratoga Springs, when the Wilton Mall is only a short drive away, and the super-duper-stadium seating at Cross Gates Mall.

While I only attend the movies once in a long while, I would be much more likely to attend a movie that I could walk to. That being said, I'm pretty sure that I'm not a representative sample in this case.

On the other hand, Saratoga is an ideal place for the quintessential dinner-and-a-movie date, and why shouldn't we cash in on the extra sales tax revenue generated by movie ticket sales. And, if it's been proposed by two developers, the idea must have some ecnomic legs. We'll have to see what shakes out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew-

This is the surest winning bet ever to come to our turf. We've got to prepare for what's ahead and look at what's coming SOON to a Theater near YOU!!!--

* FIRST-RUN FLIX Part One- My beloved Forum goes for obscure Art Flicks so we don't "take" from one of my favorite organizations. I'm a member so I don't want it to die.

* FIRST-RUN FLIX The Sequel- I truly miss REEL MEALS...but their economic situation forced them to show films when the rentals were lower, well-after the opening. Proved to be a bad business model.

* OUR KIDS DESERVE IT- The teens in this town have been surveyed and they're less-than-thrilled. They can hang at Lillian's Lot or hit the "Y." A downtown movie house is everything we owe them.

* MOVIES SPREAD MONEY- As you wisely noted, a night at the cinema is often part of a full evening. With dinner. In town.

I've only heard rumors of the plans and I can't wait to see ALL the designs at City Hall this Friday. And if there's a chance of snapping up the "REGAL" franchise, I'll put my money where my mouth is. Which means ZILLIONS of you will stay away in droves.

But to the rest of you, I PROMISE this--

When MidEast warfare and two-bit Pirates send oil soaring over $10 per gallon...

...I'll welcome you to my Saratoga Screenery and offer dinner discounts at some of the best restaurants in a town always evolving, always opinionated, and ALWAYS delightfully Human.

-Kyle York
Film. Nut.

November 20, 2008 at 1:00 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

The Bow Tie Cinema in downtown Schenectady has been a huge draw for folks from the Stockade, Union, and the more urban neighborhoods to east. The two dinner and a movie venues at the Congress Street Plaza failed (IMHO) it's just far enough most people drove; the food was terrible; and finally the price just wasn't right. I think a cafe attached to a movie theatre is great, but the actually joining of the two experiences needs a lot of work.

I think a good one or two screen theater would do very well downtown.

November 20, 2008 at 5:47 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home