Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Wednesday, April 1

Resolution delayed

Had I had a genie in a bottle yesterday, I would have wished for just one thing: a decisive end to the campaign for the 20th congressional district.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a genie in a bottle, and we are now going to have to wait two weeks at the very least to know the victor -- and there is a distinct possibility that litigation ensuing from the recount and absentee ballots will take months beyond that.

Strictly speaking as an observer of the race, I am really tired of covering it. I had hoped beyond hope that I'd be able to tap out my last words on the story Tuesday night, or maybe Wednesday, and lay it all to rest, but it is not to be.

We will now have to follow the election through the various ballot counts, and, as I said, likely litigation.

I'm sorry that this post-election day check-in is coming so late at night, but we had another busy day at the office today.

As you already know if you followed Tuesday night's live blog, I was stationed for the evening with Scott Murphy's camp at the Gideon Putnam. We had an 11:30 drop-dead deadline, so my blood pressure was rising steadily, when it was 10:30, 10:45, 11:00, and Murphy had still not appeared to make his speech.

Murphy aid Ryan Rudominer noted that Tedisco was still talking on Channel 9. "We don't want to be rude and interrupt him," he said.

So, Murphy finally took the stage at minutes after 11. I wasn't particularly surprised to see Senator Kirsten Gillibrand introduce him, but I was surprised to see Governor David Paterson take the stage. With his approval ratings in the basement, I thought that any Democratic success (or possible future success) would want to keep him at arm's length. But perhaps the governor wants to use the special election as a way to raise his own popularity. Of course, it also bears noting that Paterson was not active on the campaign trail.

So, it's going to be a long while before we know the outcome. In the mean time, I'll be stewing that I didn't get my one wish.

On another note, Tedisco told supporters to call him "Landslide Jim." HA! Even if Tedisco is the victor when the smoke clears, this race was no landslide -- as we all thought it would be back in late February.

One last note. Thanks to everyone who tuned in to the blog on Tuesday night. Over 5,500 people viewed this blog on Tuesday, shattering all previous record! More than 3,000 readers clicked onto the blog in the span of one hour, 10 to 11 p.m. That's a whole lot of readers, thank you! For more on the blog process, you can mosey on over to Steve's blog.

4 Comments:

Blogger Horatio Alger said...

Andrew,

Those who are well-acquainted with Tedisco's public persona knew the "landslide" comment was Jim's way of shedding a little light humor onto a situation that was quite clearly dark for the Republicans. Tedisco often says a number of over-the-top things to either get himself quoted or stir a laugh among his audience. In no way was he actually intimating a sweeping victory. In fact, everything from his posture to his tone suggested the exact opposite. I will say Murphy's demeanor was that of a candidate that had just swept a race, even if he didn't toss out such a comment.

April 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Horatio,
Thanks for the added insights.

As for Murphy, you're right about his demeanor. In thinking about Tuesday evening earlier this morning, the image that came to my mind was that of a victorious boxer, with his trainer (Gillibrand) holding his fist aloft.

April 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM 
Anonymous gerard hawthorne said...

Horatio,

We are just not worthy of your brillance. We never would have figured that out about the republicans being in trouble. I think you are the smartest man I know besides John Tighe. However, I don't see the republicans being in trouble locally. We still face the darkside group of democrats (McTygue and clan) who insist on ruining their party. They now are posing as independents.

April 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM 
Blogger Horatio Alger said...

Gerard,

Anytime I can intelligently inform a twit like yourself, I take it as a success. After all, it's hard getting through to a freak who effectively ruined a good quotient of the online discussions so he or she could bash a politician that has been out of office for nearly two years. But hey, keep up the good work. Maybe if you keep going, you'll fully eradicate the Dems from Saratoga Springs.

April 4, 2009 at 8:20 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home