Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Friday, June 19

Mucking it all up

ERICA MILLER/For The Saratogian

I briefly caused some problems today at the scene of the search for a four-year old girl seen by passing motorists walking into the woods near Henning Road on Friday morning.

After hanging out in the designated press area, a parking lot at the Meyer's Education Center on Henning Road, I decided to "make a phone call"/try to get a better view of the action by crossing a rain-soaked field, and then crossing Henning Road a few hundred yards south of where the girl was last sighted.

I failed in my primary mission, but did succeed in talking to the newsroom for a couple of minutes, meanwhile leaving behind a juicy trail of 10.5-sized footprints in the mud.

About 30 minutes later, a Saratoga Springs Police Officer and an forest ranger were spotted examining something on the ground in the field which I'd earlier transversed.

I'll admit that I didn't make the connection immediately, but when one of the TV cameramen on the scene whispered in my ear that they were examining my footprints, I figured I'd best say something. In the mean time, all of the photographers, still, video, web, whathaveyou, were busy shooting the two officers.

A little while later, they'd followed the tracks back toward the parking lot, and one of the my colleagues mentioned they thought it might be my tracks. I was summoned, and duly displayed the sole of my shoe, as pictured above. The officers seemed reasonably satisfied that I was responsible for the tracks, but had apparently also found a separate track.

So, not only did I succeed in creating some good art for my colleagues, but I also might have pointed law enforcement toward an important breakthrough in the case -- or not. Either way, I'll try to keep my feet on the pavement next time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it does look like you stepped in it !

June 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM 
Blogger Steve Shoe said...

Does Blogger have a caption option now?!

June 20, 2009 at 1:33 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home