Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Wednesday, October 22

Affordable housing?

I've just finished writing about what may have been the shortest city Planning Board I've ever been to. I was back in the office by 8:45. Usually, the meeting is still on its first or second item at that time. To say that I was happy to be able to attend the entire meeting, rather than leaving halfway through, would be a huge understatement. Ecstatic is more like it.

However, this brief agenda came as a result of the continued delay on the Rail Road Place PUD, which developer Gary Olsen says will included affordable homes in a vacant lot behind the Ballston Avenue Price Chopper plaza. The project is large, and requires an action from the City Council before it can go forward. The council asked the Planning Board for an advisory opinion, and after numerous lengthy public hearings, the board has yet to render a decision.

The last time the project came up, some months ago, there were still a few items the board wanted clarified before taking a vote. I thought we might see some action at tonight's meeting, but the item was pulled. Hopefully we'll have some news about this proposal soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath. In the mean time, I'm just going to enjoy the early evening.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

a3 -- The point, as I see it, is that property values have shot up in recent years, due to part-time residents purchasing large homes, which has driven up housing costs for people whose families have lived here for generations. Long-time Saratogians are being priced out... are you glad to see them go?

On a personal note, I would say that having diversity on all levels -- economic, racial, sexual orientation -- is essential to the health of any community in this century. And who are you to say who "deserves" to live where?

What you're suggesting is frighteningly close to the ghettoization of Saratoga County, and that is not something that I would ever want to see in this community or any other.

October 23, 2008 at 3:28 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I bartended and waited tables in Saratoga in the late 70's and early 80's, I could not afford a place of my own. I lived in B Spa until I found a roommate. Together we could afford to live in Saratoga. a3 is 100% correct. There is no God-given right to live wherever you want to.

October 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

3:01 -- Laying aside the sticky issue of whether any right is "God-given," I will say that I still disagree.

I believe -- and I will take this to my grave -- that having a diverse population here or anywhere, makes a community stronger.

Not being able to afford to live somewhere and not having a right to live somewhere are two separate issues, and so is a3matrix's assertion that some people don't deserve to live here.

Anyone has a right to live here. If you feel otherwise, I defy either of you to give me a fair, non-discriminatory way to determine who does, and who does not deserve to live here. And don't even try to say that being able to afford to live here and deserving to live here are the same. They are not.

As far as people who cannot afford to live here, I still say that it is in the city's best interest to help people of lower incomes live here, so that we can have a more diverse, vibrant community. Not only is it good for the city's character, but it is also good for the environment (few cars commuting to the city), the local economy (more people to shop in local stores), and humanity in general (ever heard of the golden rule?).

October 27, 2008 at 7:06 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fyi..three years ago there were 6 homes for sale at any given point under $200k in the city. Today, there are 32. There is an abundance of reasonably priced homes here for folks of all different economic profiles. What is most likely needed, are rentals that are affordable.

November 16, 2008 at 3:52 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home