Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Wednesday, December 3

Congress on your corner

I think everyone was stunned by the number of people who turned out to U.S. Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand's "Congress on your corner" this afternoon at Borders. The book store's cafe was packed, and I wound up standing along the cafe counter, near the front of the room.

Although I had a good view, this turned out to be poor positioning, as a man standing next to me sloshed a cup of hot coffee onto my leg during Gillibrand's opening remarks. The burning liquid elicited a *very* inappropriate verbal response from me (targeted at no one in particular), which, in turn, elicited a glance from the Congresswoman. If you're reading, please excuse the interruption.

So, aside from the indignity of having to endure the remainder of the meeting with wet pants and a minor burn on my ankle, I was now the guy who interrupted the proceedings. And, to add insult to injury, the culprit couldn't even be bothered to apologize. I guess I know where I'm sending the dry cleaning bill...

Anyway, spilled coffee notwithstanding, it was an interesting event, if a little short. Given the number of people in attendance, I think Gillibrand would have been wise to find a little more time to field questions from the audience. As it was, she had time to discuss three of four questions, which addressed topics like governmental regulation on commerce, healthcare and the legal system.

It was an interesting conversation, and one that could have been born out over a much greater number of hours. Hopefully the next time Gillibrand visits the district, she will consider extending her forum-type event.

On a side note, I did find myself wondering if attendence at the event was greater, at least in part, because of speculation that Gillibrand might be tapped to take Hillary Clinton's seat in the Senate, should Clinton be confirmed as Secretary of State.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home