Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Thursday, June 25

Balancing Act

A little while ago, we got into a discussion here in the newsroom about a directive to keep our stories "tight" (that mean "short"). The instruction came as our paper continues to shrink, and space, literally, becomes tight.

The discussion that ensued pertained mostly to whether or not we should be reducing the number of national and international wire stories we carry -- and whether that space could be better used for local stories. On the flip side, some were saying, that readers want the whole package from our paper -- and that includes headlines from beyond our immediate region.

My view is that we should focus our resources, and our tight space, on local-local, meaning stories that our staff produces about the places where our readers live and work. If that means cutting some of the wire content in order to ensure that we maintain the highest-possible standard of news coverage, I say that's OK. After all, anyone who really wants to know about the latest car bombing in Iraq will likely turn to a national or international new source. I don't think it's a secret that The Saratogian does not hav a Baghdad bureau.

Obviously, there are times when we should run content from farther afield, and I'm not suggesting that we ignore major national or international events, but I think we need to focus on what we can control ourselves.

But, that's just my point of view, what do you think?

5 Comments:

Blogger muldoonmedia said...

I concur- keep it local. when I want international news i go the NYTimes
or the internet.

June 25, 2009 at 8:14 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go local. We get our national/international news from the NYT, etc.

And what do you mean the paper is shrinking ? Like the Post Star ? The physical width of that paper has shrunk to where my hands slip off the page when I turn it...Memory hand swing - what can I say ;)

June 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Thanks for your comments.

anon 12:57:

By "shrinking" I am referring to the number of pages. The size or our paper has not changed.

June 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to have a local focus. 50% Saratoga Springs, 30% Saratoga County, and 15% NY State. Then you have 5% for other national and international news that has some connection to the local area. I stopped getting the saratogian becuase i didn't need it for the AP articles, i can get those online, or on the radio. All that is depressing anyway. Local news has the chance to be more upbeat. Adjust the ratios as you see fit... :)

June 29, 2009 at 9:28 AM 
Anonymous Dan said...

I would prefer to have more local news but I hate to see any part of the news shrink. I do like getting some national and international news in my morning paper as well. I realize it's available on the web but I guess I'm just nostalgic and enjoy reading the actual paper with a cup of coffee. I miss my milkman as well, but he stopped delivering in about 1972 so....

June 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home