Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Tuesday, March 20

Sounds like Brunelle is being told "thanks, but no thanks."

Saratoga Springs Housing Authority Board of Commissioner Chairman Dennis Brunelle's (That's not a title. Now THAT'S a title) ears must be ringing after the City Council meeting Tuesday night.

Read about the full discussion in tomorrow's Saratogian. For now, I'm just going to put up this little tidbit because I've been sort of following Brunelle's imminent reappointment (or lack thereof) in the blog as of late.

Now if you'll recall, Mayor Scott Johnson said he does not expect Brunelle to request re-appointment to the Housing Authority board when his term expires in April.

Johnson said he has met with Brunelle "a number of times regarding (his tenure on the board)" and said "I think he is interested in doing other things."

That sounded a lot to me like a person stepping down to "spend more time with his family" but I let it go. I then tried to confirm it the next week with Brunelle, who seemed a little offended by the whole thing.

"I never said that," he said. "I told the mayor I would give it some serious thought and that's what I'm doing. I haven't gotten back to the mayor yet."

Well, at Tuesday's meeting it was much of the same from Johnson, who said he had talked to him "as recently as today" about the reappointment.

"I have made recommendations to him and I am still awaiting his decision," Johnson said during the meeting.

"Isn't it your decision not his?" asked John Franck.

"I'm giving him the option of deciding," Johnson replied.

It seems what he meant to say was he was giving him the option of stepping aside "to pursue other interests" or being just being told to go "pursue other interests."

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time for some new material.

March 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems to me, in light of recent events, this whole authority is out of control and needs som serious reorganization.

March 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Repair-work-all-in-the-family-3454075.php

Why is The Saratogian keeping quiet about the depth of this nepotism?

Disappointing.

April 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think our track record is clear: we are not keeping quiet about anything at the Housing Authority.

I just happened to be covering other news in the city while the TU was covering that.

April 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The neptism issue is exaggerated. There are legal waivers for these issues. The fact that two memebers of one family work at the SSHA not related to the Director or the Board does not constitiue nepotism As far as the Baord being out of control it is business as usual as the conspirators for various personal and professional reasons fuel the flames. I would encourage the mob to be patient and wait for the results of the audit and follow up review. If there is anyone interested in a position in maintenance or administration at the SSHA I would like to see how many applicants show up. Very few people could handle the day to day issues without having a special talent and patience.

April 10, 2012 at 7:18 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home