Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Thursday, October 11

That was a crazy game of poker.... I hear.

A Capital Region blog, Nanoburgh?, is reporting there was a raid on a poker game at old school #2 on Van Dam Street Monday night.

According to the blog, it was a friendly game of poker (they describe it as a "weekly get-together" when agencies "came barreling in," and arrested the two hosts for promoting gambling.

City Police confirmed there was, indeed a raid, and Lt. John Catone said it was a State Police operaton so he wouldn't tell me any of the details (including any other officers beside himself who were there). He said to call them. I did, but I haven't heard back yet, though I know the State Police public information officer always has a lot on his plate, so I'll hopefully hear by the end of the day.

It didn't appear in the paper (as the blog points out) because the information was not released. Any arrests that were made were not reported by the state or city police (I checked their blotter again) as of today.

Another local blog, Saratoga In Decline, blamed it on Public Safety Commissioner Christian Mathiesen's "campaign to rid the good streets of Saratoga Springs from a new evil, illicit poker games," but Mathiesen said I informed him about the raid when I called him today.

"If I am doing it, it is without my knowledge," he said with a laugh.

Anyway, I'll report more when I get it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kyle York said...

Thank you. On a different hand, what's the SARATOGIAN policy now for "closing" the Reader Comments on stories like the recent hydrofracking letter...the FIRST one. Again, thanks for the Readers' Update!

October 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Kyle,
That wasn't policy, that was that issue particularly. The Online Editor received 11 complaints about comments on that story in the course of one hour that night. She closed it because that conversation had gotten out of hand.

I'll have something more about the poker game today, I think. It was the State Police Special Investigations Unit, so it's a little trickier to get info on than the typical State Police activity.

October 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are quoting saratoga in decline? seriously? A known pathological liar.
whatever.

October 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

I won't address the "known pathological liar" comment, but I added Saratoga In Decline's interpretation of the bust because I wanted to address the accusation that this was a raid ordered by Public Safety Commissioner Christian Mathiesen, who said he didn't know anything about it.

October 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home