Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Tuesday, September 2

Into the fray

So, I've been away for a few days. Did you miss me?

Let me first apologize for my unannounced and protracted absence. I was ill on Thursday, and then I was off for the holiday weekend on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. That gets us to today. I am very much back at work.

Today, work involved sitting in City Council while Commissioner Kim voiced his stringent objections to a proposed capital budget program that leaves not one cent for his proposed public safety building. He's certainly got a right to be pissed. I'd be angry to if I'd worked tirelessly to plan a project, and suddenly my funding was cut. But, that aside, I'm not sure how his impassioned objections will help secure funding for the proposed infrastructure.

If I were Kim, I would have focused instead on thanking the council for giving me $400,000 to buy land for, and plan a third fire station. But commissioner Kim has never been on for conciliation. During the pubic comment period he made a public plea for anyone to email him with opinions on the capital budget program, and whether or not they agree with it. I'm interested to hear what kind of a response he gets.

Commissioner Kim's email address is: ronald.kim@saratoga-springs.org. Feel free to cc me on any emails sent to him: abernstein@saratogian.com

See you tomorrow!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew-

The $400,000 is for the City's THIRD fire station. We have one on Lake Avenue and West Avenue already.

September 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad the capital budget left out the surcharging storm sewers downstream of the current upgrade around the racetrack. DPW moved the flooding to a larger area during heavy rains.

September 3, 2008 at 8:48 AM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

anon 10:55:
Indeed, the funds are for a third facility. Thank you for the correction, and please accept my apology for the typo. I will revise the original post.

September 3, 2008 at 9:06 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The $400,000 is a scam by Herrich and Johnson. It's a bone. Note that they took out the money to actually build the facility.

It's simply cover so they can say that they are not opposed to all public safety improvements. Mark my words, this administartion will nor do the project.

Franck, of course, is simply anti public safety. He is McTygue's lap dog.

September 4, 2008 at 8:51 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home