Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Tuesday, September 23

Newish Blog!!

In these troubled times, when I find myself working the night shift, shackled to the desk when I would rather be out walking the beat, starting (or, more correctly, re-starting) a second Saratogian blog may seem like a strange decision. And yet, here it is. My predecessor on the city desk, Ted Reinert, started this blog before he left for greener pastures, but he wasn't much of a blogger, and thus never posted more than a couple things on it. I'll try to do a little better.

I'm not going to write any originally content for the 20th District blog (let's be honest, I don't have the time or the energy for that). Instead, it will serve as a repository for the wealth of press releases that I receive from the Gillibrand and Treadwell camps. Any release that makes it's way into my in box (and, as previously noted, there are a lot of them), will be posted on the blog.

In these tough times it can be difficult for a small paper to cover so many elections at once. This is me trying to do a little for you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God for bid you muster just an ounce of time or energy from your hard work on the graveyard shift to doodle away on an election that might actually mean something to people in the 20th. You do know that they are expecting record crowds on Election Day correct? These people might even want to pick up a copy of the Saratogian to read all its one-sided Gillibrand rants.

But maybe you are right and you shouldn’t cover it since it will inevitably be filled with Gillibrand spew cover to cover.

September 23, 2008 at 11:24 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what you are saying is ...I'm to lazy to write my own stuff"..."I have no opinion"... or "I can't tell what to make of this election"?

September 24, 2008 at 8:48 AM 
Blogger Always Curious said...

I guess I see why you don't get many comments. You seem to have taken an attitude that we have not read the articles in the paper concerning the 29 CD race. So you as a blogger have no opinion, got lazy, or just don't care about one of the best races going on.

September 24, 2008 at 9:54 AM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Wow... no attempted good deal goes unpublished. So, anonymous flamers, would you be happier if I ditched the 20th district blog before it leaves its infancy? Because I'm happy to do that.

I am not lazy, I am overworked. Despite what you may think, we don't sit around, shoot the shit, and drink on the night desk. Not even close. It's hard work. Each evening I am now responsible for laying out 3-5 pages, and proofing others. The whole process takes me (who is relatively new to layout) my entire shift.

Believe me, I would much rather write about the Congressional race than do what I'm doing, and as soon as I return to my beat I will do just that. For the time being, I'm doing my damndest to bring you as much information as I can, while still completing the necessary task of putting stories on the page.

It also bears mentioning that within my purview I have four races: 43 State Senate district, 20th Congressional, 112th Assembly, and City Court Judge. Not to mention occasional localizations of the presidential race, and the rest of my beat.

I'm sorry you all are displeased with the job I'm doing. Have a nice day.

September 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm sorry you all are displeased with the job I'm doing."

Yes, we are displeased. You're arrogant when you have no reason to be and certainly don't have the experience to be.

September 24, 2008 at 4:25 PM 
Blogger The Saratogian City Desk said...

Is there something specific that I've done that's led you to call me arrogant? If so, I'd love to know what it is so that I can change my behavior.

I still don't understand how pushing more information to readers is cause to attack me. Frankly, each of these comments today seems completely uncalled for.

So clearly I'm missing something. Please fill me in. Oh, and I've received enough hate for one day. I don't think I'll be publishing further derogatory comments, unless they contain at least a veil of constructive criticism.

September 24, 2008 at 7:41 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home