Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Saturday, May 28

New at the City Desk

Hello all,
My name is Lucian McCarty and I am taking over the City Desk at The Saratogian. I have been with the paper for six months now working on Saratoga County issues but with Patrick moving over to the world of public radio, I am moving into his former beat.

I have a bachelor's degree in Journalism with a minor in Political Science and I've been writing for newspapers for the past five years in New Hampshire and in Oswego but this is my first blog so it is a little strange using the pronoun "I" when I type.

I've actually been covering the city since Patrick left, but reporters at the paper have been stretched somewhat thin with the departure of Patrick and Mareesa Nicosia so close to one another-- it's only been Paul Post and I since then as full-time reporters.

This week, though, we have the new addition of Michael Cignoli and Suzanna Louri — who has been working on a part-time basis - is going full-time, so we will have some breathing room.

As such, I wanted to introduce myself to the blog-world and to all of our readers.

If anyone would like to contact me for any reason, my phone number is 583-8729 extension 221 and my e-mail address is lmccarty@saratogian.com.

I look forward to being a part of the community and am always happy to hear from readers.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome.

Please ask the mayor's office why all the outside lights in the covered area in the rear of the Visitor Center are on all day long. Every day when we go by they seem to be.

Surely there is no need or benefit and it must add substantially to the City energy bill. Does the mayor's office have money to burn? Also, the staff there seem to spend a lot of time out back smoking cigarettes during the day. How much time are City employees allowed to indulge that habit? Perhaps it is an indication that all are not needed.

The City Council should ban all smoking on City property. Especially at a VISITOR CENTER.

May 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM 
Anonymous http://www.tomllewis.com/ said...

Hi Lucian,

Welcome to the City Desk. As the paper's token conservative blogger, know that I'll be reading what you post (no matter what your personal political beliefs).

It can be fun if you just write for yourself and don't care what others think. There's usually someone who'll appreciate what you see.

May 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new Rec. Center was again taken over by out of towners over Memorial day weekend. Some basketball tournament and most of the cars there had NJ, Conn., and Pa. license plates.
So we residents in Saratoga Springs pay over $400,000 a year for this thing but can't use it.

My grandchildren were turned away when they went to play basketball. On Memorial Day the place was closed but all the lights were on.

May 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM 
Anonymous Patrick Donges said...

Swag.

June 1, 2011 at 6:57 AM 
Anonymous Rick Thompson said...

Lucian, welcome to the City Desk. Pretty big shoes to fill but you will do a great job.

June 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home