Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Tuesday, December 23

Kim taking stand on wasteful spending

Commissioner of Public Safety Ron Kim sent a letter to Mayor Johnson today, recommending that he be allowed to negotiate labor contracts with the police and fire unions, rather than the city's counsel in the matter, the law firm of Harris Beach, which the city retained at a cost of $250/hour.

Here is the letter, look for a story in the paper later this week, hopefully to include comments from the Mayor.

Mayor Scott Johnson

City Hall

474 Broadway

Saratoga Springs, New York 12866

Dear Mayor Johnson:

I recently received two letters from the law firm of Harris Beach dated December 8th and 22nd regarding the PBA negotiations and requesting my input into the process (see attachments.) Rather than provide that input to the law firm, which would cost the taxpayers $250.00 an hour, I am sending directly to you my sole recommendation regarding the upcoming negotiations for all Public Safety Departmental contracts.

As you know, this past spring I voted against the retention of a firm costing $250.00 per hour to handle the labor contract negotiations. At the time, this struck me as a waste of taxpayer money, since I was able to negotiate during my first term all Department of Public Safety contracts utilizing the existing Human Resources Director, the City Attorney and only minimal outside legal assistance.

Now that we are in the midst of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, the retention of expensive outside legal help is not only wasteful but also plainly irresponsible to the taxpayers that we represent. As I demonstrated during my first term as Commissioner of Public Safety, City Hall currently has adequate internal resources to effectively and efficiently negotiate these contracts without using a high-priced law firm.

Accordingly, my sole recommendation regarding the upcoming negotiations with the PBA, Police Lieutenants, Police Administrators and Fire Administrators is to appoint a team of negotiators including my deputy, the Human Resources Director, the City Attorney, and me and terminate the contract with Harris Beach. This and this alone is the best action your office can take for the taxpayers of this City.

Finally, if you must continue on this path, I will not be able to participate in any discussions with Harris Beach. As an attorney, I am sure you know that big expensive law firms like Harris Beach charge by the hour. Thus, anytime my office interacts with Harris Beach, they will charge the city $250.00 per hour. I cannot, in good conscience, allow such extravagance. Consistent with this, please also be advised that I will not directly respond to Harris Beach’s two letters—if I did they would simply charge the City for this review.

Sincerely,


Ronald Kim Commissioner of Public Safety

Enc. Harris Beach letters dated 12/8/08 and 12/22/08

Cc Commissioners Franck, Ivins and Scirroco

Marcy Brydges, Director of Human Resources

Joseph Scala, City Attorney




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home