Blogs > Saratogian Newsroom

The Saratogian Newsroom blog, complete with thoughts and commentary from our newsroom staff and regular posts on happenings around town.

Monday, January 5

Who is the most responsive member of the City Coucnil?

It came up in discussion in the office today, when I mentioned to my editor that I was waiting for a callback from Mayor Scott Johnson, that some members of the city government are much better about returning calls than others.

Then it occurred to us that our treatment here in the newsroom may very well be different from that which you, the public, receive from member of government. So, I'll present my experience, based on the past year, and encourage readers to write in and express how their experiences are the same or different.

In my estimation, Commissioner of Public Safety Ron Kim is the most accessible of the lot, and can almost always be reached on his cell phone. I don't think I've ever before penned the words: "Kim could not be reached for comment."

On the other end of the spectrum is Johnson, who is known around here for returning calls at the end of the day, and leaving messages (because I'm on the phone) to the effect of "It's about 5:30, I'll be here for another ten minutes, otherwise you can try my cell..." I usually get those messages exactly 11 minutes after they've been left. Oh well. They Mayor is, however, great about providing comments if you give him a day's notice.

In the middle, there are three other commissioners. Skip Scirocco is happy to talk to me -- when I get him on the phone. If he doesn't answer, it could be hours before I hear from him, if I get a callback at all.

Commissioner of Accounts John Franck is right in the middle. Although I hardly ever reach him in City Hall, he is almost always within reach at his accounting office, and usually returns messages promptly.

Commissioner of Finance Kenneth Ivins Jr. returns messages even faster, and if he answered his phone more frequently, he might even be at the top of this list.

I, in no way, mean this post to judge the City Council. I have no doubt that when members are not returning my calls, it's because they're busy with the city business, or with their own businesses. Let's not forget that three-fifths of the city council has jobs outside of city hall.

But, that is my experience. What's yours?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How interesting the fact Skippy may or may not call back. Didn't you run on "Put The Public back in Public Works". If he doesn't call back why would we support this man going forward. Maybe he just doesn't have a clue regarding the operation of his department. Or is he just to busy?

January 7, 2009 at 8:25 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home